I know I have asked myself this question many a time while sipping on one or the other.
The label says Porter, but why isn’t it a stout? Is there a difference? Does anyone really know?
I have curated several articles on the subject for your perusal. As you will see, some claim there isn’t a clear, definitive answer, but others say there is a distinct difference, such as a strong roasted barley presence in a stout. You decide!
- What’s the difference between porter and stout? Craft Brewing Business
- 101 // Stout vs. Porter Beer West
- Porter vs Stout: Really, What’s the Difference? Love Beer, Love Food
- So what IS the difference between porter and stout? Zythophile
- Dark Beer Styles: Stout vs Porter Brew More Beer
- All About Stout & Porter Ale Styles Tastings.com
- Stouts and Porters Beer Styles Guide Beer Tutor
And here are the official style guides from BJCP: